Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Oh My

Time flies...huh?
Okay, so I finished my 30 days of Raw. I was not 100% compliant after I got sick on day 17. I did manage to eat breakfast, lunch, and all snacks as raw, but I did have some occasional non-raw items in my dinners.
Now I am evaluating what I liked about a raw diet. I really LOVED all of the ways to use nuts, and I enjoyed learning to use my dehydrator. My favorite treat to make is to process macadamia nuts, pecans, raw cacoa nibs, vanilla, and some agave nectar. I flatten that "dough" into little cookie sheets and dehydrate for about 10 hours. They are a great little sweet munchie.
I also learned to make my own fruit leather. My daughter thought the strawberry-mango fruit leather I made was just the greatest thing in the world.
I found that I still am not a great fan of greens, but I do like a simple kale salad (marinated with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, cumin, and agave) and by far the easiest way to consume a bunch of greens is by doing green smoothies.
What I am continuing to do these days is-
We always start the day with a green smoothie. I am so happy that my daughter starts her day with a serving of spinach, fruits, and either chia, hemp, or flax seeds.
I make sure that we snack on several fruits and veggies thoroughout the day, and both lunch and dinner must include produce.
I find that the best way for me to keep away those evening after-dinner munchies is to make my favorite cherry-spinach-chocolate smoothie (spinach, water, frozen cherries, half of a banana, raw cacoa powder, and sometimes coconut).
I continue to fluctuate, as we all do, on how healthy my meals are each day. Some days I eat a ton of produce, and have no dairy, sugar, or wheat and I feel fantastic. Other days I do eat sugar, and have way too much wheat and non-raw cheese. But the key is to always try and get myself back in balance...

No comments:

Post a Comment